Guillermo N. Wasserman
Mr. Wasserman is a seasoned international lawyer, fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese, trained in both civil and common law legal systems, with significant experience in international business transactions, particularly with respect to Latin American markets.
He concentrates his practice in the areas cross-border mergers and acquisitions, inbound and outbound investments, global sale and distribution of goods, intellectual property licensing and technology transfers, cross-border regulatory matters, imports and exports, and global data privacy compliance.
Mr. Wasserman regularly assists his clients to bridge business, legal and cultural gaps in international business transactions involving a wide-range of industries and business sectors in the Caribbean, Central and South America, including Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, and other foreign jurisdictions beyond Latin America.
- Counseled $500+ million revenue U.S.-based global technology company in the acquisition of Brazilian company and the establishment of manufacturing operations in Brazil.
- Drafted model international distributor agreement to implement global distribution strategy for $400+ million revenue leading manufacturer of sporting goods for more than 30 jurisdictions in Latin America, Europe and Asia as part of their global distribution strategy; negotiated agreements for each jurisdiction, as appropriate.
- Counseled U.S.-based multinationals and information technology companies in the implementation of worldwide solutions for the cross-border transfer and processing of personal data, particularly with respect to Latin America (Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Brazil).
- Represented various mid-size Brazilian-based companies in different industries with respect to green-field investments and setting up operations in the United States.
- Advised leading U.S. companies in various industries in the distribution of products, creation of subsidiaries, and market entry in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru and Uruguay.
- Represented leading provider of Internet services in the acquisition of Argentinean software company with assets in Argentina and Uruguay.
- Managed Brazilian, Spanish and Mexican counsel to major European bank in $175 million restructuring of asset-based lending transaction for company in agrochemical business.
- Advised publicly traded healthcare company in the restructuring of over 50 target companies in the context of $1+ billion public acquisition.
- Represented Atlanta-based online marketing company in $15 million asset sale to private equity firm.
- Counseled various U.S. companies with respect to outsourcing manufacturing of their products and IT development, particularly with respect to China and Brazil.
- Negotiated international licensing of trademark and manufacturing of products for leading U.S. manufacturer of insulated industrial outerwear.
Professional and Community Involvement
- President, Northwestern Law Alumni Society in Atlanta
- Executive Committee, The Argentinean-American Chamber of Commerce of Georgia
- Member, Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce
- Member, The Georgia Bar (International Section)
- Member, Georgia Hispanic Bar Association
- Member, International Law Committee, American Bar Association
- Member, Buenos Aires Bar Association (Argentina)
- Selected as a 2010 POWER PLAYER OF THE YEAR by the Club de Comerciantes and the Black Latino Council
- Co-Author, "Brazil: A Viable Alternative for Intellectual Property Outsourcing," Managing Intellectual Property Assets Worldwide, November 2003 (coauthored with Robert A. West and Renata Poroger)
- Author, "The Digital Signature," datosenlaweb.com, December 23, 2000
- Author, "Basic Concepts of Contracts on the Internet," thelatingate.com, August 3, 2000
- Author, "E-Commerce Report," sta.com, August 2000
- Lecturer, “Cross-Border Transactions in Latin America,” Emory University School of Law, April 2014
- Lecturer, “International Practice – Opportunities, Best Practices & Legal Challenges,” Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School, March 2014
- Lecturer, “Mitigation of Risks in International Transactions,” J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University, March 2014
- Lecturer, “Brazil – Best Practices & Legal Challenges for Market Entry and Operations”, Georgia Tech, Ernest Scheller Jr. College of Business, January 2014
- Panelist, “Latin America on the Rise – Opportunities, Best Practices & Legal Challenges for Market Entry and Operations in the Region,” Emory University School of Law, November 2013
- Panelist, “Latin America – Opportunities, Best Practices & Legal Challenges,” Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Atlanta, Georgia, October 2013
- Panelist, “Brazil on the Rise - Market Entry and Consolidation: Successful Strategies for Reducing Country Risk,” Kettering Executive Network, Atlanta, Georgia, September 2013
- Panelist, “Doing Business in South America: Best Practices and Legal Challenges for Market Entry and Operations,” Michael J. Coles College of Business Coles Executive MBA Program Kennesaw State University, July 2013
- Panelist, “Doing Business in Argentina and Chile,” Georgia State University, Robinson College of Business, July 2013
- Lecturer, “Brazil on the Rise: Market Entry and Consolidation: Successful Strategies for Reducing Country Risk,” BDO, May 2013
- Lecturer, “Latin America: Country Risk Mitigation and Strategies for Success in the Region,” Georgia State University, Robinson College of Business, February 2013
- Lecturer, “Doing Business in Latin America,” Georgia Tech, Ernest Scheller Jr. College of Business, January 2013
- Panelist, “Latin America on the Rise: Opportunities, Best Practices and Legal Challenges for Market Entry and Operations,” Deloitte, Atlanta, January 2013
- Lecturer, “Brazil: Designing and Implementing Successful Business Legal Strategies for Market Entry and Consolidation,” Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, October 2012
- Panelist, “Access to Latin America: Best Practices for Market Entry and Operations in the Region,” Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, September 2012
- Moderator, “Acceso al Mercado de los Estados Unidos: Oportunidades y Desafíos / Access to the US Market: Opportunities and Challenges,” ProExport Colombia in Atlanta, September 2012
- Lecturer, “Latin America: Opportunities, Best Practices and Legal Challenges for Market Entry and Operations in the Region,” Georgia State University, Robinson College of Business, June 2012
- Lecturer, “Estrutura, Análise e Negociação de Contratos Internacionais sob a Lei dos EUA -/ Structrure, Analysis and Negotiation of International Contracts under US Law,” Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil (OAB) – Brazilian BAR, São Paulo, Brazil, May 2012
- Lecturer, “Cultural Adaptation for Success in Cross-Border Transactions,” Georgia Tech College of Management, February 2012
- Panelist, Argentina, Brazil, and Beyond, a Workshop and Roundtable Discussion of Business Opportunities and Best Practices: Practical Business, Tax, and Legal Challenges for Market Entry and Operations in the Region, Georgia Power Community, Economic Development, December 2011
- Panelist "Languages, Cultures & Careers", Emory University, October 2011
- Lecturer "Major South American Players (Argentina, Brazil and Chile) - Practical Impact of Legal Considerations," Metro Atlanta Chamber, April 2011
- Lecturer, "Doing Business in Brazil - Cultural and Legal Aspects," Institute for Leadership and Entrepreneurship, Georgia Institute of Technology, March 2011
- Lecturer, "Complying with International Privacy Regulations and Laws," International Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia, November 2009
- Lecturer, "Latin America - Business and Legal Perspectives in Cross-border Transactions," Georgia Power Community & Economic Development, April 2009
- Lecturer, "Doing Business in Brazil," Global Partners MBA Program, Georgia State University, J. Mack Robinson College of Business, March 2009
- Lecturer, "Doing Business in Brazil," Global Executive MBA Program, Georgia Tech College of Management, February 2009
- Lecturer, "Navegando las Américas; Aspectos Jurídicos y Negociales para la Entrada al Mercado Americano," American Chamber of Commerce, Cordoba, Argentina (CNN Videoconference), April 2005
Guillermo N. Wasserman
+55 11 3957.1377Brazil:
+54 11 5169.9734Argentina:
Buenos Aires, Argentina
LL.M., Northwestern University
School of Law, Chicago (2002)
J.D., Emory University School of Law,
Abogado (J.D. & LL.M. equivalent),
Universidad de Belgrano,
Buenos Aires, Argentina (1998)