Robert A. West
Mr. West, fluent in Portuguese, Spanish and French, has a broad-based international practice, representing domestic and international companies and individuals in complex cross-border transactions.
In his more than 25 years of international experience, Mr. West routinely assists clients in inbound and outbound transactions involving contract parties and interests throughout Latin America, Europe and Asia with respect to market entry, strategic alliances and joint ventures; cross-border inbound and outbound investment, and international mergers and acquisitions; sale and distribution of goods; global sales contracting and procurement strategies; multi-jurisdictional enforceability of international agreements; import and export of goods and United States export controls; and international privacy compliance.
Mr. West is the Chairman of the International Partners Council, Metro Atlanta Chamber; Co-chair of the Global Commerce Council, Metro Atlanta Chamber; Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Georgia; Senior Advisor to the Brazil-U.S. Business Council; and a member of the Advisory Council of the Georgia Tech Center for International Business Education and Research.
He has been a regular guest lecturer at various professional organizations, companies and U.S. and Latin American universities, including, Georgia Tech, Georgia State University, Emory University School of Law, Universidad de Buenos Aires, and Universidad Católica Argentina, on the topics of doing business in the U.S. and Latin America and legal aspects of cross-border transactions. He has been recognized for his expertise in the field of international law by Georgia Super Lawyers (2006 through 2010 editions).
- Created and implemented global distribution strategy for 400+ million revenue leading manufacturer of sporting goods for more than 30 jurisdictions in Latin America, Europe and Asia, including preparation of model agreements, drafting and negotiating international agreements and establishment of best practices.
- Provided training in best practices for negotiation of cross-border distribution agreements to multi-national company operating throughout Latin America
- Counseled U.S.-based multinational and information technology companies in the implementation of worldwide solutions for the cross-border transfer and processing of personal data, including outbound transfers from the European Union and onward transfers.
- Counseled 500+ million revenue U.S.-based global technology company in the acquisition of Brazilian company and establishment of manufacturing operations in Brazil.
- Represented leading provider of Internet services in the acquisition of Argentinean software company with assets in Argentina and Uruguay.
- Advised leading U.S. companies in various industries in the distribution of products, and creation of subsidiaries, and market entry in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Peru and Uruguay.
- Counseled multinational chemical and health care corporation with respect to international procurement issues.
- Counseled various U.S. companies with respect to outsourcing manufacturing of their products and IT development.
- Represented French company specialized in medical devices with respect to U.S. market entry, sales and distribution in U.S.
- Negotiated international licensing of trademark and manufacturing of products of leading U.S. manufacturer of insulated industrial outerwear.
- Represented U.S. leading provider of refrigeration and air control systems in the negotiation of service and purchase agreements in Central America.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Appointed as Senior Advisor to the US-Brazil Business Council
- Director, International Section of the State Bar of Georgia
- Chairman, International Partners Council, Metro Atlanta Chamber
- Co-chair, Global Commerce Council, Metro Atlanta Chamber
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce Georgia
- Member, Advisory Council of the Georgia Tech Center for the International Business Education and Research
- Appointed by the Governor of Georgia to the Advisory Council of Hemisphere, Inc., created to promote Atlanta as the home of the Secretariat of the FTAA
- Member, Inter-American Bar Association
- Selected by Super Lawyers magazine and Georgia Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2010
- Author, "Brazil: A Viable Alternative for Intellectual Property Outsourcing," Managing Intellectual Property Assets Worldwide, November 2003
- Author, "Complying with International Privacy Requirements," Southeast Tech Wire, February 25, 2003
- Author, "Environmental Protection and Free Trade - or Everything May Be For the Best in the Best of All Possible Worlds," Shepard's California Environmental Law & Regulation Reporter, Volume 1, Number 12, February 1992
- Lecturer "Major South American Players (Argentina, Brazil and Chile) - Practical Impact of Legal Considerations," Metro Atlanta Chamber, April 2011
- Lecturer, "Doing Business in Brazil - Cultural and Legal Aspects," Institute for Leadership and Entrepreneurship, Georgia Institute of Technology, March 2011
- Lecturer, "FCPA Issues in Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures - Investigations Panel," The Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: International Business and Crime Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia, September 2010
- Lecturer, "Expanding Bilateral Opportunities," The Consulate General of Brazil, Investment Opportunities in Brazil Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia, July 2010
- Lecturer, "Going International: Legal Fundamentals for Success," The 16th Annual Georgia Tech Global Business Forum, UPS Headquarters, Atlanta, Georgia, April 2010
- Lecturer, "Brazil Rising: What Happens After Lula?," World Affairs Council of Atlanta and Georgia State University, UPS Headquarters, Atlanta, Georgia, April 2010
- Lecturer, "Drafting and Litigating International Dispute Resolution Clauses," International Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia, November 2009
- Lecturer, "Culture Shock Prevention: Know Before You Go! - Brazil Program," organized by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Atlanta, Georgia, October 2009
- Lecturer, "Accessing the Brazilian Market Workshop," organized by the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Georgia and the Brazilian Consulate General of Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia, October 2009
- Lecturer, "Latin America - Business and Legal Perspectives in Cross-border Transactions," Georgia Power Community & Economic Development, April 2009
- Lecturer, "Penetrating Brazil’s Markets - Legal, Business and Strategic Approaches," The 15th Annual Georgia Tech Global Business Forum, UPS Headquarters, Atlanta, Georgia, April 2009
- Lecturer, "Doing Business in Brazil," Global Partners MBA Program, Georgia State University, J. Mack Robinson College of Business, March 2009
- Lecturer, "Doing Business in Brazil and the USA," Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce, February 2009
- Lecturer, "Doing Business in Brazil," Global Executive MBA Program, Georgia Tech College of Management, February 2009
- Lecturer, "Strategies for Going Global - A Business Legal Perspective," The IEDC 2008 Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, 2008
- Lecturer, "Navegando las Américas; Aspectos Jurídicos y Negociales para la Entrada al Mercado Americano," American Chamber of Commerce, Cordoba, Argentina (CNN Videoconference), April 2005
- Lecturer, "Intellectual Property in International Transactions," TechLaw Speaker Series, Emory University School of Law, September 2004
- Lecturer, "International Business Transactions; Import/Export," Georgia State University College of Management, July 2004
- Lecturer, "International Business Transactions: Brazil," Georgia Tech College of Management, April 2004
- Lecturer, "Navegando las Américas; Aspectos Jurídicos y Negociales para la Entrada al Mercado Americano," Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina; Universidad Católica Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina; Colegio Público de Abogados de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina, all in October 2002
- Lecturer, "Protection of the Individual: a significant American law issue for multimedia content providers," European Forum on Law of Telecommunications, Information Superhighways, and Multimedia of the Union of European Lawyers, April 10-11, 1997, Monaco
+55 11 3957.1450Brazil:
+54 11 5167.6958Argentina:
J.D., University of Southern California Law School, 1984 Gould School of Law
M.A., University of California
at Los Angeles, 1978 (Chancellor's Fellowship for Graduate Study)
B.A., University of California
at Los Angeles, 1975 (Phi Beta Kappa)